This easy Nettle soup recipe is a great way to get all the wonderful health benefits of Nettles incorporated into your everyday meals. Nettles (Urtica spp.) have been used medicinally for thousands of years. They are packed full of a wide range of nutrients. Nettles contain high levels of protein (15-20%), and are rich in minerals such as iron, calcium magnesium, and zinc. They also contain good levels of fibre, as well as the vitamins A, C, D, K, riboflavin, and E.
The sting is totally removed from the plants when they are cooked. The Leek and potato base in this soup is also very versatile for a wide range of soup dishes. If you don’t have Nettles available try substituting any or a combination of the following: Silverbeet (swiss chard), Spinach, NZ spinach (Tetragonia tretragonoides), Puha (sow thistle), or Water cress. Leek and Potato is a great base with chicken and corn or with fish as a chowder.
To prepare the Nettles wear garden gloves, and carefully use scissors to snip the leaves into a bowl. Retaining some of the leaves to add at the end of cooking helps the soup to retain its lovely green colour.Print Recipe
Nourishing Nettle soup
- 1 large leek Green and white parts chopped
- 4-5 medium potatoes Scrubbed and diced
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp ghee or combination of coconut oil and butter
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cups nettles including stalks and leaves (see notes above)
- 1 cup cream optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the ghee in a large pot on medium heat. When melted add the leeks.
- Heat gently with a lid on, stirring occasionally until leeks are soft but not brown. Add the garlic and potatoes stirring for a further five minutes.
- Add the stock. Bring to a boil then simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Add all of the nettle stalks and half the leaves. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the rest of the nettle leaves and blend with a stick blender until the soup is smooth. Add cream at this stage if using, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or reheat gently. Garnish with a swirl of yoghurt and fresh chopped chives or parsley if desired.